Things to see and do in Wiltshire
Close to Bath, Bristol, Cirencester, The Cotswolds, Tetbury, The Cotswold Water Park, and even London, Malmesbury is perfectly placed for an afternoon visit, day trip, weekend break or fascinating longer stay. There are wonderful places to visit nearby such as Westonbirt Arboretum, Cotswold Water Park, City of Bath and much more. That’s if we can tear you away from the comfort of the hotel and the unique, independent shops in Malmesbury town.
There's always something happening in Malmesbury, talks, walks, arts & culture events, live music, festivals, history events. Head over to the Discover Malmesbury web page or ask our Guest Relations team.
One of the highlights of the Malmesbury calendar; Carnival takes place over the month of August with a mix of fun & interesting daily events, ending with a traditional procession of floats - just the way carnivals used to be!
St Aldhelm's Day
May Bank Holiday
Late May Bank Holiday fun for all the family, this annual traditional medieval fair celebrates the life of St Aldhelm, first Abbot of Malmesbury.
Explore the area
Malmesbury plays host to popular music, culture, history, and arts festivals including WOMAD, Flying Monk Arts Trail and Wessex History week to name a few. There’s a month-long Carnival Festival every Summer, Abbey Skate week in the Abbey every February half term, art exhibitions, a cinema in the Town Hall, acoustic music nights, Christmas late night shopping, zombie walks… we could go on! There are many wonderful walks along the River Avon directly from the hotel or we can assist with organising activities such as local history walking tours. You can find out more in the Discover Malmesbury Town Guide.
- Malmesbury's 12th Century Abbey Built in the 12th Century and very much a hub of the community today, this jewel in Malmesbury's crown is a place of beauty with the very warmest welcome.
- England's Oldest Hotel, The Old Bell Hotel
- Malmesbury Town Hall & Tourist Information Centre More information about local attractions and events is available from the Malmesbury Tourist Information Centre which is located inside the Town Hall.
- Athelstan Museum Explore our collection which dates back to the Iron Age.
- The Triangle The Triangle, known as Sheepfair beforehand, used to be the location of a bustling market outside of the original town gates.
- High Street The charming, historic High Street and surrounding area showcases a fantastic collection of unique, independent shops exclusive to Malmesbury.
- Station Road Parking 2 hours free parking. Access to the town is via steep steps.
- Abbey House & Gardens Situated next to the 12th Century Abbey and straddling the River Avon, the truly spectacular gardens have brought praise from around the world.
- 17th Century Moravian Church & Cemetery
- 15th Century Market Cross
- River Avon & Circular Bridge Walk The gorgeous Cotswold countryside. The Malmesbury and River Avon walk crosses a wooden bridge over the river and the Cowbridge Weir
- Cross Hayes Parking On street parking. Short stay.
Explore our boutique home from home in all its quirky splendour. There's always something new to see!
Historic, vibrant and treasured, Malmesbury is a wonderful community full of independent shops, cafes & businesses.